There are many types of Vietnamese Pho recipes from chicken, beef, pork, seafood to vegetarian. Use same spices as listed in the Pho Ga (Vietnamese chicken pho) recipe for pork, seafood, beef, and vegetarian variations.
Large stock pot
Strainer, sieve or colander
Bowls for serving
Pho ga (Vietnamese Chicken Pho recipe)Print Recipe
- 2 tbsp. whole coriander seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 quarts (2 liters/8 cups/64 fluid ounces) store-bought or homemade chicken stock
- 1 whole chicken breast (bone in or boneless)
- ½ onion
- 1 3-inch (7.5 cm) chunk of ginger, sliced and smashed with side of knife
- 1 to 2 tbsps. sugar
- 1 to 2 tbsps. fish sauce
- 1 lb. (500 grams/16 ounces) dried rice noodles (about ¼ inch/6 mm wide)
- 2 cups (200 grams/7 ounces) bean sprouts, washed and tails pinched off
- Fresh cilantro (coriander) tops (leaves and tender stems)
- ½ cup (50 grams/approx. 2 ounces) shaved red onions
- ½ lime, cut into 4 wedges
- Sriracha chili sauce
- Hoisin sauce
- Sliced fresh chili peppers of your choice.
Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
Add the coriander seeds, cloves and star anise and toast until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
Immediately spoon out the spices to avoid burning.
In a large pot, add all the ingredients (including the toasted spices) and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 20 minutes, skimming the surface frequently.
This is an important step in Vietnamese Pho recipes.
Use tongs to remove the chicken breasts and shred the meat with your fingers, discarding the bone if you have used bone-in breasts.
Taste the broth and add more fish sauce or sugar, if needed. Strain the broth and discard the solids.
Prepare the noodles as per directions on the package.
To sum up, ladle the broth into the bowls. Then divide the shredded chicken breast and the soft noodles evenly into each bowl. Have the accompaniments spread out on the table. Each person can customize their own bowl with these ingredients. This is traditional Pho Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Pho); one of stunning Vietnamese Pho Recipes. Good luck to you.